Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Why I chose Google Glass, a one year perspective

Why I became an Explorer
A year ago today I got my invite to become an explorer. I had no idea where that journey would lead but I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to go on that journey. Today I'm proud to say I have no regrets.
It is quite convenient that on this anniversary Google is inviting anyone who is curious about the explorer program to have a go. Personally, I think those who already wanted to purchase Glass, already own it but as one of the first explorers, I think it's responsible for me to share some thoughts that may help you decide if you are on the fence.


Glass in my life
I wear Glass at least once a day at a minimum of 2 hours if not more. I'm primarily testing my app or walking my dog, or demoing for random strangers. In the year that I've owned Glass, I have had no bad experiences, just the occasional "are you recording me?" or "one of those Google Glass guys", there was also one occasion when a passenger aboard a plane shielded his face as I walked past. Outside of that, smooth sailing, people love Glass whether I'm in Berlin, Miami, Pamplona, Arlington, London, North Carolina even in San Fransisco I haven't had terrible experiences.

Glass is also relevant in my professional life, my +LynxFit team and I are building what we think is an innovative way to stay healthy, and I have certainly already made my return on my Glass investment a dozen times over.  
Finally, since acquiring this device, I've certainly explored my world, in a weird way, it's actually encouraged me to get outside more. Some highlights #throughglass  
Like many others, I saw the potential in my line of work and in my social life. How it looks doesn't play a role for me though I still think it looks pretty badass,  understand that eventually the looks may change.

Why should you get glass?  I get this question a lot and I always answer it the same way, if you fall into 2 of these 3 categories then consider it. Get glass if you are:
  • a developer or a business with plans to build something innovative.
  • a technophile or an enthusiast of wearable technologies and wants to be on the cutting edge of technology.
  • financially sound and don't mind spending a lot of money on a beta product.
Outside of that, if you have any questions please let me know:
#askanexplorer  
See also Business Insiders "4 types of people who should buy Glasshttp://www.businessinsider.com/4-types-of-people-who-should-buy-google-glass-2014-4


















No comments: